In Opole, as in other places of the country, was celebrated the 80th anniversary of foundation of the Home Army. The celebrations in the capital of our region were organised by the Opole Governor, Sławomir Kłosowski, and the Opole Branch of the World Association of Home Army Soldiers. The Museum was represented at the event by the head of the Research Department, Dr. Piotr Stanek.
The commemoration commenced with a Holy Mass in the Church of the Transfiguration. The ceremony took place in front of the Monument to Home Army Soldiers, and was assisted by soldiers from the 10th Opole Logistics Brigade. After the ceremonial speeches, the participants laid wreaths and lit candles at the monument.
Eighty years ago, on 14 February 1942, by order of General Władysław Sikorski, the Union of Armed Struggle was transformed into the Home Army. It was the largest underground army during World War II. The fate of many of its soldiers (almost 6 thousand) is connected with Stalag 344 Lamsdorf. This is reminded, among others, by the Monument to the Warsaw Insurgents – POWs of Stalag 344 Lamsdorf, in front of which, each year in October, the Museum organises ceremonies commemorating subsequent anniversaries of the arrival of the first transport of the Warsaw insurgents to Lamsdorf.